Ways To Preserve Church
By Pastor Ronnie Wolfe - March 18, 2007
1 Timothy 4:6-16
I. PROCLAIM THE TRUTH, Verses
A. We Are To Worship In Truth --
B. The Truth Will Set Us Free -- John 8:32
C. We Must Proclaim Jesus As The Truth -- John 14:6
D. We Are Sanctified Through The Truth -- John 17:17
E. Some Do Not Obey The Truth -- Gal. 3:1
F. Some Change The Truth Into A Lie -- Rom. 1:25
G. We Are To Rejoice In the Truth -- 1 Cor. 13:6
H. We Are To Speak The Truth In Love -- Eph. 4:15
II. REJECT SPECULATION, Verse
A. Refuse Profane (BABAYLOS)
1. The word profane means to
2. In Oz, Dorothy asks the Scare Crow how he speaks without a brain.
He says people do it all the time. She says, "Well, I guess you are
3. I have heard some theological arguments like this.
4. Profane means worthless, or no value.
B. Refuse Old Wives' Fables
1. Sometime we believe what we
hear without checking out the scriptures.
2. Don't be taken in by fair speech. Check out doctrine from the
word of God.
3. Read 2 Timothy 2:16
4. Don't speculate about the truth. Read God's word.
III. TRAIN IN GODLINESS,
A. Spiritual Training Has Value
For All Things -- Matt. 11:29
B. Spiritual Training Demands Real Effort
1. John 9:4
2. 2 Tim. 2:15
3. Eccl. 12:12
C. Spiritual Training Gives
Security and Confidence -- 2 Tim. 2:15 - "approved unto God"
IV. ARM YOURSELF AGAINST FALSE
A. Command And Teach, 11
B. Be An Example Of Faithfulness, 12
1 Example of Speech
2. Example of Life
3. Example of Love
4. Example of Faith
5. Example of Purity
C. Be Diligent In Church
1. Reading the Scriptures
2. Preaching (Paraklesis, Exhortation)
3. Teaching (Didaskesis, Exhortation)
D. Be Constant In Use of Gifts, 14
1. Timothy's gift was a special
gift given to him by the presbytery
2. Any gift is a gift of grace (charisma)
3. This is the gift of knowing truth from error, which we can have
through God's word.
E. Meditate On These Things, 15-16