A New Birth And A New LifeJune 4, 2005 - Pastor Ronnie Wolfe
I apologize for the numbering. This
happens in conversion, and I cannot change it.
John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily,
verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the
kingdom of God. 4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is
old? can he enter the second time into his mother=
s womb, and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee,
Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the
kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which
is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must
be born again.
- A NEW BIRTH
- We Were All Born Natural In A Depraved Condition
- Ro 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and
death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
- In your natural birth, you were the recipient of the sinful condition
of your mother and your father. This is passed along to every generation
because of the sin that Adam committed in the Garden of Eden.
- As a result of our sin, death has passed upon every one of us, not
only because we have received the sinful nature of our parents, but also
because we have sinned ourselves. Our verse says,
A for that all have sinned.@
- Every sinner will sin as a natural result of being a sinner. That=
s what sinners doB they sin.
- We Also Have An Adversary To The Truth Of This Teaching
- In Gen., 3:4 we read, And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall
not surely die:
- We would eventually, no doubt, see our sinful condition or at least
our spiritual limits if it were not for Satan deceiving us. He does not
want us to see the truth.
- He said to Eve, A Ye shall
not surely die.@ That is the lie
that Satan has been telling the world ever since that time.
- Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so
also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
- We Need To Be Changed From This Depraved Condition
- Sinners in their original estate we call SINNERS. There are two kinds
of sinners: lost sinners and saved sinners.
- What is the difference between a lost sinner and a saved sinner?
- The lost sinner is still in his original state, depraved and alienated
- Eph 2:13 ... who sometimes were far off ...
- We are aliens and enemies. Col 1:21 says,
A And you, that were sometime
alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works ...@
- We Need More Than Reformation To Change Us
- We usually think of how good or bad we are as to how close we are to
God. Being good morally in the eyes of men does not bring us into
reconciliation to God.
- Notice Isa 64:6 But we are all as an unclean [thing], and all our
righteousnesses [are] as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and
our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
- Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the
flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
- So the real need is for people to be BORN AGAIN. We were born
the first time depraved, lost and dying in our own sins; so we need to be
born again so that we can live unto God, know God and have fellowship God.
Through this we can know and have confidence that God is real and that
Jesus Christ is real and that we will without a doubt be in Heaven with
Jesus Christ and with others who have been born again.
- How Are We Born Again?
- John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a
man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom
- To be born of the water means to be born of the flesh. How do we know
this? The Lord answers this question in verse 6,
A That which is born of the
flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.@
- So we must be born naturally, which goes without saying; but we must
also be born of the Spirit of God.
- 2 Cor. 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new
testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth,
but the spirit giveth life.
- The new birth is also called REGENERATION. Tit 3:5 Not by works of
righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us,
by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
- There is much more we could say about the New Birth, but now I want to
go to the next point.
A NEW LIFE
2 Cor. 5:17 Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new
creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
First of all, we must be in Christ.
2 Cor. 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world
unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath
committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
Gal. 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ
You must believe the word of reconciliation, the Gospel of your
salvation. You must hear the word that Jesus Christ came to the earth as
God, lived a perfect life, died on the cross to pay for sins, and
resurrected the third day according to the scriptures.
With this real, abiding faith you will be a child of God as promised
in Gal. 3:26.
We then are new creatures (or new creations). So much so that old
things are passed away and all things are become new.
When you turn from your sins in hatred for them and turn to Jesus
Christ in faith, you will never be the same again as long as you live and
throughout all eternity.
Rom. 6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we
shall also live with him:
- We are dead with Christ, meaning that we have believed in his death,
and our sins have been crucified. Paul says in Gal 2:20 that we are
crucified with Christ, nevertheless we live.
- Our sins have been crucified. Our past life has been crucified. Our
old attitudes toward God are crucified. Our desire to live habitually in
sin is crucified. We are now new creatures in Him.
- We shall live with Christ
- We shall live with him PERSONALLY.
- John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me,
he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come
unto him, and make our abode with him.
- Our lives, then, will reflect his commandments in our obedience.
- Our lives will shine forth as a witness of Jesus=
death, burial and resurrection.
- Our attitude toward others and our attitude or worship will be
framed only in Him and will culminate in wonderful praise and prayer
to Him as our God.
- We shall live with him PERMANENTLY
- Heb 13:5 [Let your] conversation [be] without covetousness;
[and be] content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will
never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
- Our security in Christ is stamped with the indelible ink of God=
s grace. His grace is that act of God whereby he does for us what we
cannot do for ourselves and that which we do not deserve.
- John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish,
but have eternal life.
- We shall live with him PROSPECTIVELY
- We are not in Heaven yet, but we shall be there one day.
- 1 Peter 1:4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and
that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 Who are kept by
the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in
the last time.
- Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are
sealed unto the day of redemption.
So today I am asking you whether you have a new birth and a
new life. If not, today, if you will turn from your sins by God=
s grace and turn your eyes upon Jesus and believe that he died for you
personally and paid your eternal price for sin, you will be saved. This is
evidence that God has worked the miracle of regeneration (or new birth) in you
to will and to do of his good pleasure.
You need never again to be worried about your sins. They are
under the blood. We have been reconciled and redeemed by the blood of Jesus
Christ in his death.
Have you heard this message today? You must first hear it in
your ears, then in your heart, then repent and believe. A new birth, a new
creature, a new life, a new song, a new outlook, a new attitude, a new hope, new
home--that is what you will have if you trust him today.